If you are trying to download the Instagram App on an iPhone 4 or other older iPhone devices you may encounter an error message telling you to update your IOS version. However, on older iPhones, no matter how many times you update, the operating system just will not support the latest versions of Instagram. Frustrating!
Here I will give you a quick and easy way to get Instagram on your iPhone 4.
Why can’t I get Instagram on my iPhone 4?
In a nutshell there have been so many changes and updates to Instagram, eg. the addition of Stories and IGTV, that older versions of the iPhone just cannot support it. The latest versions of Instagram are designed to run on newer models and newer operating systems.
What you need is…an older version of Instagram.
How to Install an Older Version of Instagram on my iPhone
I searched high and low for a way to do this for my Nana, who has an IPhone 4. She really wanted to download the app to see all her Grandchildren’s pictures but was always met with an error message telling her she needed a newer version of IOS despite having completed all updates available.
All the methods I found to install Instagram on her older iPhone were long winded and complicated. As someone who doesn’t know much about how phones work, I just didn’t understand it. But I finally discovered a quick and easy solution!
- Log out of your account in the App Store. You can do this by going to the App Store on your home screen, or by going in to Settings and then choosing App Store/iTunes depending on what phone you have.
- Find a friend that has had Instagram for a long time. If someone has had Instagram for many years, they are going to have an older version of Instagram saved to their Apple ID. Instagram does not let you download older versions from the App Store, but if you already have an older version on your account they will grant you access to it.
- Log in on your phone with your friend’s Apple ID and request to download Instagram from the App Store.
- It should tell you that you cannot download the latest version but you can download an older version.
- Click Yes! Done!
- Log out of your friend’s Apple ID when done and enjoy Instagram on your iPhone 4!
Please bear in mind that this will be an older version of Instagram so will not have all the features available in newer updates.
I was able to log in on my Nana’s phone using my Apple ID and download an older version of Instagram to her phone quickly and simply. She is now able to join in and see all of our Instagram pictures. Success!
Hope someone out there finds this useful!